For the last six days, I've enjoyed a peaceful break from San Diego and Baseball. It's been awhile since I had a break to truly disconnect and just be at peace.
Those that know me, the beach is my peaceful spot. It truly became that way when I lived in Hawaii, and often times, those that know me best (to include my ex-wife), remind me of how much the beach means to me.
For the last 18 years, my cousins have spent a week in July at Bolsa Chica State Beach in Huntington Beach, California. I've participated either partially or fully for the last six years.
This year, due to work requirements (thank you Ed Sheeran), my week at Bolsa Chica didn't fully align with everyone else, and thought if it was even worth it to go - alone - for four days - just me.
The answer was an astonishing YES!
A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of visiting The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' San Diego California Temple. It was an Open House where they welcomed non-church members to tour and explore the Temple after a recent remodel. It was amazing to see and experience!
Many of the Church members highly spoke about the Celestial Room, what was the brightest and most beautiful room that we toured. The tour guide explained prior to entering the room that it represents heaven and has the peaceful presence of God. It was quiet and peaceful.
The beach is my Celestial Room.
For the days I was alone, I often woke up, grabbed a cup of coffee, then walked a couple miles along the beach's wet sand with the waves occasionally hitting my feet.
Just walked, let my mind go as it wished and at points not even thinking at all - just walking and listening to the waves crash.
After the walk, I would grab my chair, towel, sunscreen and the new book I'm reading - "Flourish" by Daniel Coyle, then head to the beach to read and just be me and the beach.
Sitting on the beach, listening to the waves crash - it was peace! The must needed get-a-away!
As I was reading "Flourish," Chapter 3 dug into a concept of "Morning Pages." I won't go into much detail, as this will entice you to Purchase the Book and read it, but how 'awakening cues make meaning.' Daniel explains how Julia Cameron wrote about how countless people are unlocking a 'wellspring of energy, creativity, and resilience' by writing three or so pages of whatever comes to their mind in the morning.
So here it is - the start of something new (lets see how long this lasts). An attempt to share with you all the things that are quickly coming to my mind the first thing in the morning, and have a deeper look into the Life & Times of JB




No comments:
Post a Comment